Master of Science (M.Sc.)
The master program in Econometrics is an English-speaking program offered jointly by the TU Dortmund, the Ruhr-Universität Bochum and the Universität Duisburg-Essen. It combines the expertise and breadth of the participating faculties in empirical economic research and economics with the methodologically oriented training of statisticians and econometricians at Germany’s only Faculty of Statistics at the TU Dortmund. This unique combination of training and research expertise makes it possible to offer a specialized curriculum for quantitatively oriented students covering a broad range of topics in econometrics and applied economics. Students acquire extensive knowledge of econometric methods and models as well as an in-depth understanding of central economic causal relationships and resulting econometric issues.
The study program Econometrics is a project of the UA Ruhr
In particular, the program supports research-interested students in developing analytical skills with respect to specific economic research questions and thus optimally prepares them for a PhD in econometrics or neighbouring disciplines, or for a career in econometrics, empirical economic research, evidence-based policy consulting, or operational research.
Is only possible in the winter semester
- Via the TU Dortmund
- Start of the application period for the winter semester: March 15th.
– For applicants who obtained their last relevant educational qualification in Germany (Bildungsinländer) or from a member state of the European Unio, enrollment for the program is possible until the last Friday before the beginning of the lecture period of the winter semester
– Application deadline if the last relevant educational qualification was from a country outside the EU: July 15th.
- Please note that the processing of your application by the International Office of the TU Dortmund may take several weeks. The period between the notification of admission and the beginning of the semester can be short if the documents are submitted late. In order to ensure sufficient time for organizing a visa, accommodation, etc., we advise international applicants from non-EU countries in particular to apply as early as possible.
- Bachelor degree in statistics, economics, mathematics or comparable subjects
- 15 ECTS from the field of economics
- 15 ECTS from the field of mathematics/statistics
- Overall grade of at least 2.7 or better
- Proof of English (min. B2)
Information about the study program
- Expertise of the three participating UA Ruhr universities
- Methodologically oriented education of the only statistics faculty in Germany
- Specialized curriculum with a wide range of courses on econometric & economic topics
- Graduates receive a joint master degree from the four participating faculties
With a master degree in Econometrics you can earn a doctorate.
Information about the application procedure:
If you have general questions about this degree programme, please contact the Student Advisory Service:
Dipl.-Ök. Michèle Lorraine Teufel
Beauftragte für Studienangelegenheiten
Phone: 0234 3222687
Kim Docter, M.A.
Phone: 0234 3222762
Room: GD 03/229
Here you will find the office hours of the Student Advisory Service; office hours are currently by appointment only (by phone or email).
The program is divided into compulsory modules as well as electives and concludes with the master’s thesis. In four compulsory modules with a total of 42 credit points, you will acquire in-depth knowledge in statistics, econometrics and time series analysis. The core curriculum also provides skills in applied research, statistical programming, research project management, and statistical consulting.
Elective modules train students in economic theory and allow further specialization in applied and theoretical econometrics.
Read more: www.econometrics.ruhr
The program is divided into compulsory modules as well as electives and concludes with the master’s thesis. In four compulsory modules with a total of 42 credit points, you will acquire deep knowledge in statistics, econometrics and time series analysis. The core curriculum also provides skills in applied research, statistical programming, research project management, and statistical consulting.
Elective modules train students in economic theory and allow further specialization in applied and theoretical econometrics. In the modules, students focus on a specific research area according to their individual preferences. This results in a flexible number of credits that can be earned through elective modules, but must be a minimum of 11 and a maximum of 26 credits in each of the elective module areas.
While the core modules and many elective modules are taught in English, students have the option of taking selected courses in German.
Master of Science – Econometrics